It was the year of the book, the ballroom, and the Marriage Blessing. Seeds of change sown by new appointments in 2008 bore good fruit in 2009 as the True Children stepped up to leadership challenges in Korea and the United States.
As True Father himself announced again and again the year was significant for being the year of the Coronation Ceremony for the Liberated Authority of God as the King of Kings, the publication of True Father’s autobiography, and True Parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. It was also the year that weighty leadership responsibilities were carried by Rev. In Jin Moon in the United States, Kook Jin Moon in Korea and Japan, and Rev. Hyung Jin Moon in Korea and around the world, who collectively took the movement into a new era of professionalism, pride and transparency.
True Father’s autobiography, As a Peace-Loving Global Citizen, was a bestseller in Korea for months, and surfaced in an English translation in Washington with much fanfare on October 1.
It was a year of marriage blessings. While the January 31 and November 16 blessings were mostly for young members, the October 14th Universal Blessing Ceremony was a special event attended by all Blessed Families around the world. Respectful media coverage of the January blessing by newspapers in Denver and Baltimore raised eyebrows. Mainstream media woke up to the succession issue at the time of the October Blessing in Korea and produced scores of stories on wire services and in daily newspapers around the world.
In Korea Rev. Hyung Jin Moon raised the banner of the “Unification Church” on the headquarters building and personally led a grassroots witnessing campaign. In his four-city speaking tour in the United States, he asked for Unificationists to fully support True Parents’ efforts and to pray for those who had forgotten who True Parents are.
In the United States, Rev. In Jin Moon launched Lovin’ Life Ministries, anchored by a national worship service in Manhattan that combined Unification theology, the Bible, personal anecdotes and the insights of world religions topped off with the production value of a rock concert. Her handpicked band was professional from its first performance on April 12, and its vintage traveled well to Las Vegas in September and to Chicago in December. Church members got onto their feet and learned to dance under the hands-on instruction from Arianna Moon, Rev. In Jin Moon’s daughter. Rev. In Jin Moon refocused the American Clergy Leadership Conference and the Women’s Federation for World Peace on her vision of a rising generation of peace with good effect.
Under Rev. In Jin Moon’s administration, the www.familyfed.org website got a facelift and a new emphasis on professional reporting. In August the website opened a members’ login feature that limited access to internal church communications to those with eyes to see and ears to hear. Witnessing Summits of 2008 blossomed into new brands of workshops in 2009 that emphasized dialogue, experience and self-discovery.
In Japan, Kook Jin Moon, guided the Japanese church to renew its fight against religious persecution by launching an unprecedented public awareness campaign aimed at the problem of kidnapping and forced confinement of members. Mr. Toru Goto, Japan’s celebrated victor over confinement, made three speaking tours in the United States and was introduced to large audiences by Rev. In Jin Moon. During the year, evangelical outreach in Japan proudly proclaimed the Founder’s name. Fundraising offices were reformed to comply with best-practices standards.
Time will tell, but there is plenty of evidence that the year of 2009 was a stepping-stone to greater things in 2010.
True Parents 2009 Events
• Jan. 15, 31: Coronation Ceremony for God’s Liberated Authority as the King of Kings (in Korea on Jan 15 & 31, at the Manhattan Center on the 31st)
• Jan. 31: TP Officiated over Interreligious Crosscultural Marriage Blessing Ceremony
• March 27: TP celebrated True Parents Day in Las Vegas
• April 11: Golden Wedding Anniversary (TP’s 50th Holy Wedding Anniversary)
• April 21: Attended Round-Ball Tournament held in Korea
• June 1: Autobiography celebration speech given at Convention Center in Seoul
• June 4: TP Spoke to members at Original DP Workshop in Las Vegas
• July 3: TP Celebrate19th Declaration Day of God’s Eternal Blessing at East Garden
• July 4: TF celebrated U.S. Independence Day at Manhattan Center
• July 7: Gave speech at East Garden during HDH, which would later be known as “Owner of Peace and Owner of Lineage”
• July 24-Aug. 2: Attended Peace Cup tournament held in Seville, Spain
• Aug. 31: 21st Ceremony for the Settlement of Eight Stages celebrated in Las Vegas
• Oct. 1: 12 -hour HDH at Sheraton National Hotel;
Autobiography Party for diplomats and friends in government
• Oct. 3: Foundation Day for the Nation of the Unified World celebrated at East Garden
• Oct. 14: Universal Blessing Ceremony at Asan, Korea, worldwide participation
• Nov. 16: Second Generation Blessing in Korea
• Dec. 16: TF spoke to church members, ministers and VIPs in Las Vegas rally
Hyung Jin Nim 2009 Events
• Jan 31: Gives Blessing Address at Interreligious Crosscultural Marriage Blessing Ceremony
• March 28: Spoke to members in Las Vegas
• July 29 – Aug. 7: Offered condition of 21,000 bows
• Sept. 1-6: Four-City American Speaking Tour together with In Jin Nim
• Nov. 17: Inauguration as International Chairman of Universal Peace Federation
• Nov. 24: Interview published in JoongAng Ilbo daily in Korea
• Dec. 19: Officiates at Blessing Ceremony of 1000 couples in Taipei
In Jin Nim 2009 Events
• Jan. 30: Gave landmark speech to ACLC Convocation
• Feb. 22: Completed 12-district USA listening tour
• March 22: Organized Memorial Service on the Occasion of One-Year Anniversary of Hyo Jin Nim’s Ascension
• March 28: Read True Father’s speech on True Parents’ behalf in a 1200-person rally in Las Vegas
• April 12: First Sunday of Lovin’ Life Ministries at Manhattan Center
• Aug. 4: Inaugurated Hero Hernandez as CARP leader (chosen by True Father)
• Aug. 23: Introduced Mr. Toru Goto at Sunday Service
• Sept. 19: spoke to Women’s Federation and introduced Toru Goto
• Oct 1: Introduced True Father at Autobiography Party in Washington, D.C.
• Oct. 23: Addressed WFWP Convention in Las Vegas
• Oct. 25: Gave LLM’s first West-coast service in Las Vegas
• Dec. 4: Hosted the Ambassadors For Peace Awards Banquet at Manhattan Center
• Dec. 16: Introduced True Father at Las Vegas rally
• Dec. 19: Addressed True Family Values Banquet in Chicago
• Dec. 20: Produced Lovin’ Life Service in Chicago
• Dec. 27: Lovin’ Life Service simulcast to 110 churches nationwide
Other 2009 Events
• True Parents appointed Archbishop Ki Hoon Kim as continental director of North America region 1
• Original Divine Principle workshops held in Las Vegas
• Toru Goto made three extended visits to the United States to promote the cause of Japanese Unificationists whose human rights have been violated
• ACLC rallies for prayer at Ground Zero on 9/11
Contributed by Doug Burton